SUBMIT YOUR ONLINE APPLICATION TODAY!
- Minimum age of 18 years old
- Must have High School diploma or G.E.D. earned in the continental United States at the time of application
- Valid CA. driver's license
- Must be able to read, write, speak, and understand the English Language
- Must be normally physically able to perform work of the sheet metal trade.
General knowledge test given to all applicants includes:
Passing score on the Military ASVAB. (There are practice questions available on the internet as the ASVAB website http://www.asvabprogram.com/student-program)
All applicants notified of pass or fail and position on eligibility list for apprenticeship.
All applicants passing the ASVAB test will be placed on the "Eligible Work List" by the date of their application. Eligible applicants will be called off the list in chronological order. Applicants have 2 years from their test date to be placed as an apprentice or they will be removed from the list and required to reapply if still interested. Before being dispatched to a contractor, all applicants will be drug tested and be required to provide a DMV printout or sign a DMV Authorization.
Job Placement Jurisdiction
Fresno, Madera, Tulare, and Kings Counties
|Skill Level||Gross Taxable Wage||Total Package||Avg. Time|
|Pre-Apprentice||$15.31||$25.68||6 Months - 1 Year|
|1st Year Apprentice||$19.14||$45.76||1 Year|
|2nd Year Apprentice||$21.27||$47.89||2 Years|
|3rd Year Apprentice||$27.64||$54.26||3 Years|
|4th Year Apprentice||$31.90||$58.52||4 Years|
|5th Year Apprentice||$36.15||$62.77||5 Years|
|Journeyperson||$42.53||$82.87||5 Years - 6 Years|
Qualities To Be Successful
- Seeking a career not a job.
- Being punctual, dependable, and ready for work every day.
- Believe in working hard and taking pride in your work . (Good work ethic)
- A desire and aptitude to listen and learn, and the ability to retain the skills being taught.
- Ability to work outdoors in various weather conditions. Heat of the summer & cold of winter.
- Good physical condition and dexterity (climbing ladders, stairs, lifting , confmed spaces , heights , etc)
- Enjoy working with your hands and mind. (Problem solving skills)
- Possess above average mechanical and mathematical skills.
- Good attitude and ability to work and get along with others in a team atmosphere.
- Like new challenges, not being content with mindless, as sembly-line routine, or sitting in an office.
Opportunities In The Sheet Metal Industry
- Commercial Heating, Ventilating, Air Conditioning - These individuals design, fabricate, and install items such as ductwork, equipment, fire-dampers, seismic bracing, louvers, etc . in hospitals, schools, prisons, and commercial buildings.
- Architectural Sheet Metal - These individuals design, fabricate, and install items such as metal roofs, columns, siding, signs, skylights, gutters, etc. made of various metals for the beautification and weatherization of a building.
- Industrial Welding Sheet Metal - These individuals design and use various welding processes to fabricate, and install items such as conveyors, catwalks, dust collectors, blowpipe systems, bins, custom items etc.
- Testing, Adjusting and Balancing - These individuals fine tune and maintain HV AC components on existing and new buildings.
- Food and Beverage Sheet Metal - These individuals design, fabricate, and install items made of primarily stainless steel in restaurants and cafeterias. Item such as kitchen hoods , countertops, food carts, dishwashers, etc.
Benefits Of The Sheet Metal Industry
- Career Not a Job- It is a profession, requiring special training, ability to advance with increased knowledge, job security, long-term employment, health and pension benefits, provide for your family, buy a house, ability to retire at a fairly young age.
- No Prior Experience Necessary- You do not have to have experience in the sheet metal industry to apply and be successful.
- Earn Good Wages - Starting at $16.00 to $18.00 an hour and within five years you can earn at least $38.49 taxable wages with a total package of $77.22 including benefits.
- Paid on the Job Training- Earn while you learn. Learn while you work along side skilled crafted people who will teach you the sheet metal industry.
- Sheet Metal Apprenticeship - Concurrent education in a classroom experience to teach you the fundamentals of the industry such as safety, mathematics, shop layout, welding, etc.
- Continuing Education - Ability to get additional training and certifications throughout your career as new advancements and technology changes the industry.
- Excellent Pension Benefits- Ability to retire at 55 years of age with 25 years in the industry and earn an average of $5,000 to $6,000 per month in retirement.
- Health Benefits - Full health care coverage for your family. Includes medical, dental, prescription drugs, vision, health savings account.
- Career Advancement Opportunities- Ability if you desire and show potential to become a foreperson, general foreman, shop superintendent, owner, etc.
- Travel with Your Profession- Once you have become a journeyperson in the sheet metal industry you have the ability to travel throughout the United States and Canada and earn the journeyperson wages in that area